Office Recycling Logo

How is the Recycling program funded?

MSU Office of Sustainability Recycling is funded by a student fee ($3.50 per semester) which was passed by a vote in the fall of 2008 with additional support from MSU Administration. This funding pays for all costs associated with operating the Office of Sustainability and the recycling program (equipment/supplies, labor, bins and service fees)

Why doesn't Bozeman/MSU recycle glass?
This is a common question, with a long and complicated answer involving the economics of living in a rural area and the commodity value of glass. The short answer is that glass is a very heavy material, which makes it more difficult and more costly to move around than other recyclables. Also, because of the high heat required to recycle used glass into new glass, doing so doesn't actually save as much energy as other recyclables. Glass is also inert - it won't leach nasty things as it breaks down (like plastic can) - so as of now we are concentrating on other recyclables. That doesn't mean we should landfill glass as a rule, but in our region we have limited options. One option is to REUSE your glass. Jars can be taken to the Community Food Co-Op where they are sanitized and put out for use by bulk shoppers. Bayern Brewery has a great program where they take used beer bottles (no embossing), wash them and re-bottle (Four Corners Recycling helps with this program). Additionally, some private recycling companies in Bozeman will also pick up glass for a fee.

Can I recycle neon/fluorescent paper?
The Office of Sustainability Recycling accepts most colored papers for recycling with the exception of neon/fluorescent orange and goldenrod colored papers. The mill we sell our recycled paper to cannot accept these colors.

Where should I place packaging materials?

Styrofoam peanuts and plastic packing pillows won't get recycled if placed in the plastic recycling bin. Instead please see if Copy Cats or other printing/shipping centers will accept it. Avoid using Styrofoam packing peanuts, bio-degradable packing peanuts (made from corn) are a better alternative.

Do you recycle E-Waste/E-scrap?
MSU Safety & Risk Management operates an E-Scrap program on campus. They collect computers, printers, ink cartridges, batteries, light bulbs and other electronic waste items. This program is paid for by a fee charged on all university computer purchases (a percentage of purchase price). For more information about MSU E-Scrap and proper disposal options for electronics, visit or call 994-5678.

How can I get a Recycling Bin?
We are always expanding our recycling program and if you have a location where you would like to see recycling please call or email us.

Contact Info:

Call 994 - 6871 or email